Thursday, August 9, 2012

Wrapping Paper Art...It's a Process

As an advocate of going blank, I'm always on the lookout for a blank surface where Aidan can express himself.  While standing in the party section of a store one day, I thought about how much I dislike not having enough wrapping paper for the right occasions.  I have too much Christmas paper but not enough for birthdays, and I'm completely out of anything that would be appropriate for a baby gift.  Then I see it.  Blank wrapping paper, as beautiful as the blank card, perfect for personalizing for any occasion.      


I released an entire roll of the paper on top of my table as an invitation to paint.  Several colors and objects were available to choose from.  Aidan started stamping away....



But painting with hands is always more fun.


He tells me when he's done, then I set out markers later once the paint is dry.  He adds to his creation.  We roll it back up and it gets used for a couple of birthday presents.  Sometimes I wrap the presents first, then Aidan decorates them so I can use one roll for several occasions.


Aidan gets a proud look on his face when he personalizes an object.  It comes from the ownership of accomplishing something he did all on his own.  It's a look that tells you why the process of art is more important than the end product, or as I like to say, It's Picasso, not perfect!  That look is something I try to remember when I set out materials for him to create with, because the end product doesn't always turn out the way I envision it, then again, I'm not the one creating it either!


If you'd like to see why I'm an advocate of blank surfaces, check out Blank is Better.

Like Little Moments Facebook Page to stay up to date on all our moments and more!







3 comments:

  1. Oh, how I would love to get a package wrapped in paper like this! It looks like Aidan had so much fun making this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find more and more how much I appreciate homemade items since having children!

      Delete
  2. This is another great post. I just read your post on finger play. I love the idea of using legos to print on paper. Please link this one too (and any other arts, crafts and play posts) to Artsy Play Wednesday on Capri + 3.

    : 0 ) Theresa
    http://www.multiples-mom.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, stop by any time!
-Heather